OK, so if you promise not to laugh, I will confess that I sometimes fall asleep thinking about my palms filled with smooth seeds like nickernuts. I have a few specimens that have had holes drilled in them but I have never seen them in their pods as they are displayed on this video. I can assure you that if that day ever comes, I'll be in heaven. I have given up on trying to figure out where my love of beautiful seeds comes from but it makes me happy to know that countless others share this fascination which can border on obsession. The creator of the video explains that the nickernut, or sea pearl, is a seed from a very thorny vine-like shrub that is common along Florida's beaches and coastal waters. Many of these seeds come up on the tides from the Caribbean and South America and germinate on the beaches in Florida. Seeds are often found on the beach and are gathered by seabean collectors. They can be polished to a high sheen and made into attractive necklaces and bracelets. The plant in this video (Caesalpinia bonduc) is quite large and had thousands of pods filled with seabeans. It was found while walking along the bay at Fort Desoto Park in Pinellas County, Florida.
No comments:
Post a Comment