Sunday, April 6, 2008

Botanical Jewellery

Photobucket

I am captivated by the products of the natural world and have been interested in their use in the production of ornaments and more specifically ornaments for human adornment. This bird, although preferring nudity, has been known to wear necklaces made of botanical gems. I am also an avid collector of seeds, seed pods, dried flowers, leaves, grasses, bark, bits of wood. I collect them because I find them beautiful and also because I imagine that they will find their way into wearable art. Over the years I have made myself a few items. When I use the expression "botanical jewellery", I do not mean jewellery inspired or made in the likeness of plants or parts of plants, I am referring to jewellery that is made from actual plant material. After reading all that I could find on the Internet and examining raw materials and the finished products on their wearers and for sale on the Internet and on the streets of Port of Spain, it is my pleasure to begin this blog as a place to collect and share as much information as I can on the subject. I know that there are many people out there who are as equally fascinated by this class of gems provided by nature.

No comments: