Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Collar of Dried Cornhusks

Photobucket

I must confess that after making this collar, I generously donated it to the tree and there it remained month after month, taking the sun and rain until it got black with mold. The tree was definitely more adventurous than I would ever be about wearing such a bold ornament or maybe it was just too polite to fling it into the bushes after I'd turned my back.

I made it because I just wanted to see what a cornhusk collar would look like and I am convinced that they would be impressive as collars for Carnival masqueraders. The material is free, it is easily worked with, it is lightweight. Beads could be incorporated and the colour could be altered although I like it natural but best of all these collars are biodegradable if the frame used is something like raffia, hemp or flexible natural canes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and such a beautiful gift for the tree~c

Guanaguanare said...

Thanks, Carrie. The tree's silence was deafening so I'll never know. It made me happy though that the cornhusks didn't go right away into the garbage but became an organic ornament that lasted months.
Blessings!